Yes, we could waste away pining for the snow days that are tantalizingly close. But these Top 5 Distractions for Stick Season are much more fun:
- Find more forms of “sticks” – get lost in a corn mazes or climb a tree for apple picking. Vermont is known for fresh, delicious food of all types and flavors and the fall time is no different. Try the largest corn maze in Vermont at Hathaway Farms in Rutland or stop by Scott Farms in Dummerston to pick-your-own apples.
- Those sticks sure are pretty from the summit! Hiking is, let’s face it, one of the only things still worth doing outside at this time of year. The exercise will keep you warm, there is not a bug in sight and you’ll be prepping your legs for skiing/riding. And, the views are still beautiful.
- Snow dances. Twist, shout, do the shopping cart – whatever snow-dance moves you’ve got, now is the time to use them!
- Carve a snowflake or a prayer to Ullr (the Norse Snow God) in a pumpkin.
No need to be fancier than this. Image from Wikipedia.org
- Take an ATV tour on and around the mountain. This is the other thing that’s still fun outside.
- This one's a bonus – reprise those snow dances! Seriously, you can never snow dance too much.